Friday, August 31, 2007

The Boys in Lima

Although I haven't written about them much in my blog, the boys here in the center in Lima are the boys with whom I've spent the most time. By being part of their lives over the past several months, I've been able to experience something really special. I recently began to notice the changes in the newer boys that have only been in the center for a month or two, and it's incredible to see God working in there lives.

I've witnessed one boy go from being very wary, detracted, and temperamental to being very open, curious, and friendly. Yesterday I had a conversation with this particular boy about some simple things - favorite foods and sodas. To see him laugh and smile as he talks about delicious food and soda, and have a genuine curiosity about what I like, I can see that he's free from something that had previously bound him. Yesterday I witnessed the same boy correct another newer boy for asking me for one of my bracelets.

I remember when another boy named Victor first came. He was full of energy and totally crazy. He would latch onto me and hug me and tickle me at every opportunity. He was sweet, but a total terror, because he demanded constant attention. This past week, I saw him with a schoolbag for the first time, which made me very happy to know he was attending school now. I've also seen him doing some of the chores reserved for older boys, and in general, he's much calmer. Yesterday he ran up behind me and latched onto me in the the middle of the street, which made me laugh. He's still a little nuts, which I think is good...

This past week I've met a couple new boys in the center. There's one that has partially bleached hair and doesn't quite know all the rules. There's another that has a giant scar down his entire face and is a big loud-mouth but is very friendly as well. Having seen the changes in the other boys, I'm excited to know that the lives of these boys will probably change as well.

Another boy that stands out in my mind was a sweet little guy of about 11 named Davíd. I actually wrote about him previously because he was one of the guys in the choreography who in the end, was taken by the demons to the back of the room. He was supposed to go to Kawai so that he could live in a safer environment, but instead he left the center to go back to the streets. It's tough to see that happen, but I feel comfort in the fact that I can still pray for him. I've heard several stories of boys who left the center in the worst of conditions, only to come back years later as strong Christian men, ready to serve. None of that could have happened if the seed of God's love hadn't been planted here at Girasoles.

I've experienced so much by becoming friends with some of these boys, that I'm just going to write about how a few of them have touched my lives.

I've already written about Carlos. I had a couple opportunities to walk around town with Carlos and another older boy, Henri. It's special because they always look out for you, whether crossing the road or walking through a market. They're very sharp and aware of everything around them because of the their tough pasts, and it's touching to see them care for me like I'm a little brother (who's 7 years older than them).

Another boy named Daniel is about 18 or so. He's studying for one more year before he'll learn some kind of trade - which one, he's not so sure yet. He's friendly and quiet, and he helped me buy my sneakers that cost $24. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase, considering my old ones were disintegrating.

Gerardo is about 20 and he seems very smart. He knows a bit of English and seems very wise for his age.

Moisés is about 15. He loves kung fu, and actually is lightning fast when he messes around, pretending to fight me. He's very laid back and made me my first bracelet - it's got my name on it!

Eliazar is probably the meanest kid here. Every time I see him he wants to fight me, and I don't know when to take him seriously, because he's always pretending to be mad. A couple weeks ago I let him borrow my gloves for a day, and I had to fight him for 20 minutes to reclaim them. After I stole them back, we put our arms on each other's shoulders and sat down, exhausted. It was a great chance to bond with him, but he's still always being a jerk. I gave him one of the gloves yesterday to keep, since I bought some nicer ones for when I get back to the states.

Jaime probably holds the most dear place in my heart. He's about 12, is extremely loving, protective, and energetic, and occasionally has a bad temper with the other kids. He made me two bracelets that are on my right wrist. Yesterday, Eliazar broke one of the bracelets from Puerta Alegria that was on my other wrist. I thought the thing was done for, but Jaime miraculously repaired it, and surgically burned the knot closed while it was on my wrist. I gave Jaime my other glove. In the choreography, Jaime still plays one the boys who leaves with the demons at the end.

There are also some amazing men who grew up in the center and are now working for Scripture Union, as well as some amazing volunteers who work with the boys. Juan is a volunteer and really commands respect from the boys, while still being their friend. Rambo (real name Julio) has the most awesome scratchy voice. Rambo goes out with Juan and others on Tuesday and Thursday nights to give bread and milk to people on the street. They tell the kids about Girasoles and encourage them to come stay there. Elton Jhon (no lie - it's on his ID) works with a night shelter that provides beds for kids who are too scared to come into a nice clean place like Girasoles. It's used as a stepping stone to get kids to come to the boys' home. Jhon's story is really so incredible that I can't even describe it here in my blog. Ask me about it when you see me back home.

Well these are my friends here in Lima. They've touched my lives, and I just wanted to share a little about them since they've somehow gone unrecognized through all my blog posts. Please pray for the boys here, the boys like Davíd that have gone back to the street, and all the men and women of God that work with the boys here.

No comments: