Saturday, May 5, 2007

Day 4: Chugging Milk and God-talk

This is Borg.

Borg has an inhuman capacity for eating food and enjoys pushing his talents to the limit. Yes, I know he only appears to weigh about 140 lbs, but I'm guessing that about 40 of those pounds are attributed to the parasites living in his digestive system, seeing as how he ate 8 hotdogs plus sides and smores on Wednesday night.

What you see in the picture is Borg attempting to chug an entire gallon of milk at once. He's standing outside because he's aware of the negative consequences which are inevitable, even if he succeeds in his task. Borg drank about 85% of the gallon within 2 minutes, and let's just say that the other pictures of Borg are not as pretty. Despite Borg's own disappointment that he couldn't finish the gallon-o-milk challenge, we're all very proud of him. As a sidenote, he did all this a half hour after eating a massive meal of food.

On a more serious note, I'd have to say that up through Thursday I was a little disappointed that besides the allotted times for prayer and worship, there was not a whole lot of God-talk. We had tons of fun all week, but I didn't get to do much of my favorite thing in this world: talk about life and God. Fortunately, this changed late-night on Thursday.

I was very fortunate to be able to share my testimony and to hear the scary and amazing testimony of one of the other volunteers. About 5 of us stayed up late and just shared our thoughts on God. We asked some tough questions about the trials of life and why they occur, and it was wonderful to hear everyone's perspective.

The most important thing that I pulled out of the evening, personally, was to be able to refocus on why I'm doing what I'm doing. It's so easy to get caught up in trying to learn this new job, and trying to perform well, and being social to make new friends and love my fellow man. I also worry about posting interesting things to the blog to try to impact people's lives who aren't able to be here with me. All these things are great, but I need to remember that I'm here for God, and no matter the quality of my work, or how witty or interesting I am, or how creative I am with the blog, all that really matters is that I'm serving the Lord. If I serve God, He will lead me where he wants me to be, even if the world does not see my work as a material success. Much thanks, especially to my fellow worker who shared his testimony, because it's helped to lead me forward on a Godly path.

No comments: